Visiting the Doctor in Quito, Ecuador
I went to the doctor today.
I haven’t eaten much in the past 8 days because everything I have been eating seems to be running right through me.
I first had symptoms last Monday mid-day (Montezuma’s Revenge – if you don’t know what I’m talking about, ask someone).
By Friday I was feeling better.
So I went out for Alex’s Birthday.
I ate fried food and had a couple of drinks.
Saturday morning, we were supposed to go to Otavalo Market.
Instead, I spent half the day asleep, and the other half of the day in the bathroom.
I was feeling better today, but just to be sure, we went to the doctor.
Visiting the doctor in Ecuador was pretty much like visiting the doctor in the US, except it was a more personable experience.
We waited in the waiting room for 10 minutes, and then the doctor called us in.
We met in his very comfortable office for 10 minutes discussing things. This alleviated the intimidating feeling of experiencing the “exam-room” first thing. The doctor took some time to hear what was going on.
Then we walked down the hall into the very modern exam room, where the doctor used a stethoscope, blood pressure arm cuff, and took my temperature with the electronic ear reader thing.
He had me lay back, tapped my stomach a bit, and had me sit back up.
He asked a few more questions, and let me know I probably have some kind of parasites (which I already knew, because I’ve been able to see them (and I’ve been helping my body fight them) when I close my eyes. That’s a whole other topic for a different post).
The Doctor prescribed me 6 pills for Colufase which I’m to take every 12 hours.
In 3 days, he assures me, I will be parasite free… because the medication is pretty darn effective (apparently).
$40 for the doctor visit (which I’m sure is the price for gringos, but no big deal) and $8 for the 6 pills.
Overall, a good experience visiting the doctor in Quito, Ecuador.
(I just realized, that’s the first time I’ve even been to a doctor outside of the US. I’m glad it was a good experience.)
Another thing you can do from outside of the US is pursue advanced education with a Sacred Heart University degree.
March 2nd, 2010
- November 02, 2014 11:43 AM : PBCS
- October 27, 2014 08:27 PM : Prepare To Be Amazed By... well... just watch
- September 12, 2014 06:52 PM : Say What? Take 2 - Hilarious Voice Transcription
- September 10, 2014 05:57 PM : The difference between TSA Pre Check and Clear
- July 04, 2014 03:36 PM : Happy Indepence Day!
- July 02, 2014 10:52 PM : Say what? Hilarious Voice Transcriptions
- June 04, 2014 08:54 AM : Wacky Wednesday #105
- May 28, 2014 08:44 AM : Wacky Wednesday #104
- May 25, 2014 11:54 PM : Human Slavery: How Your Cell Phone Enslaves Or Liberates Humanity (Actual)
- May 09, 2014 07:20 AM : Water Is Life: An Amazing Book
- May 07, 2014 08:47 PM : My favorite ad campaign
- April 24, 2014 10:28 AM : More Amazing Sand Art
- April 23, 2014 10:22 AM : An Amazing 8 Minute Story
- April 21, 2014 08:22 PM : Fooling My Brain
- February 17, 2014 01:41 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - JR Celski
- February 13, 2014 01:49 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - Rico Roman
- February 12, 2014 01:37 PM : Can Plants Think?
- February 11, 2014 05:31 PM : For Our Moms
- February 10, 2014 08:59 AM : A Review of ZipCar: My First ZipCar Experience
- February 08, 2014 01:25 PM : How Olympians Have Changed
- January 15, 2014 09:07 PM : Beatboxing the Blues In Britain (Video)
- January 11, 2014 12:15 PM : This Video Will Make You Hurt
- December 29, 2013 08:46 AM : Poem: When Spoken Into Being
- December 20, 2013 12:40 AM : Poem: My Problem
- December 19, 2013 08:25 AM : Christmas Lights Scavenger Oddities: December Date Night
- December 18, 2013 01:46 AM : Thoughts On A Perfect Fire
- December 17, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: For The Soldiers
- December 15, 2013 12:08 PM : Why Get Out Of America
- December 15, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: As An Eagle
- December 14, 2013 02:02 AM : Poem: Howling In The Night
- December 13, 2013 12:38 AM : Poem: To The Mouse (# 2)
- December 12, 2013 05:49 AM : Go Broncos!
- December 10, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Anointed
- December 09, 2013 08:42 AM : Poem: Father Christmas Is My Step-Dad
- December 07, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: I See