Why Is Cheddar Orange?
Cheese is white, right?
After all, cheese comes from milk.
Milk comes from cows (and goats).
Every cow I know of makes white milk.
So why is cheese orange?
Such was the conversation with our friends Matt and Nicole during Carrie’s birthday dinner at their house last night.
Carrie actually took the initiative to look it up, and sent the results of her cheese search to me.
I’m sharing them with you here now.
Why is cheddar cheese orange?
Cheese taste is [...] highly affected by the food an animal eats. If a cow eats a lot of onions, its milk will lead to oniony cheese.
So back in the day in England, Cheddar Cheese (that is to say, cheese from Cheddar, England) was found to be quite tasty indeed – better than most other English cheeses. As it was so popular, the folks in Cheddar [the town of Cheddar] could charge a wee bit more for their cheese than other folks.
Then some scalawag noted that there was an orange tint to the Cheddar cheese. Being a greedy little [...expletive removed...] , this scalawag added a tad bit of coloring to his own cheese, and started selling his cheese as Cheddar as well. People’s tastes being what they are, they probably equated “more orange” as meaning “more Cheddar-like”, and started paying more for the more orange cheeses.
Meanwhile, back in Cheddar, they couldn’t understand why people went ga-ga over orange, as the color had absolutely nothing to do with the taste. The taste came from the fact that their cows ate different grasses and that the cheeses were aged in different storage facilities than other cheese making areas of Britain.
That’s why Cheddar Cheese is orange. Because we want it to be.
What dye is used in making cheddar cheese orange?
Nowadays the most common of these is annatto, a yellow-red dye made from the seeds of a tree of the same name. Dyeing the cheese eliminated seasonal color fluctuations and also played to the fact (or anyway the belief) that spring/summer milk had a higher butterfat content than the fall/winter kind and thus produced more flavorful cheese. Figuring if yellow = good, orange = better, some cheese makers began ladling in the annatto in double handfuls, producing cheese that looked like something you’d want to carve into a jack-o’-lantern. In recent years some smaller operations have rebelled and stopped using colorants. Be forewarned–according to one cheese making text, uncolored cheese is a “sordid, unappetizing melange of dirty yellow.” But at least it’s real.
And now you know THE REST of the story.
Humans are weird.
June 13th, 2010
- May 26, 2013 01:05 AM : Poem: The Men Came
- May 21, 2013 01:03 AM : Poem: The Cricket March
- May 20, 2013 12:58 AM : Poem: May 20, 1996
- May 18, 2013 10:11 PM : Poems from 18th May, 2008
- May 18, 2013 09:06 PM : Poem: Let's Eat Ice Cream
- May 17, 2013 07:32 AM : Poem: A Mountain Of Thought
- May 16, 2013 09:05 PM : Poem: By the Beach
- May 15, 2013 12:56 AM : Poems Based on William Carlos Williams
- May 14, 2013 12:36 AM : A Perfect Weekend In Las Vegas
- May 13, 2013 08:07 AM : A Note To Me From The Dilbert Cube
- May 13, 2013 07:12 AM : What Alaska Airlines does in Seattle’s airport
- May 12, 2013 10:06 PM : Poem: Into Whose Pockets?
- May 12, 2013 01:56 AM : Poem: Mothers and Children
- May 11, 2013 07:22 AM : What Southwest Airlines Did For Mother’s Day
- May 10, 2013 10:04 PM : Poem: Clean Out The Old
- May 06, 2013 05:46 PM : Poem: Round Rumpus Rocks
- May 03, 2013 07:28 AM : Poem: To Have A FOCUS
- May 02, 2013 12:54 AM : Poem: The Spider In The Scale
- May 01, 2013 01:30 AM : Poem: Be Sure To Bring Some Time With You
- April 29, 2013 01:08 PM : Poem: There Is A New Light (At The Stoplight)
- April 25, 2013 04:53 AM : The Complex World We Live In: Analytics Alone
- April 25, 2013 01:25 AM : Poem: Is Everybody Else?
- April 24, 2013 01:55 AM : Poem: It's My Heart
- April 23, 2013 07:49 PM : Ye Olde English Pub
- April 23, 2013 01:53 AM : Poem: The Life-Givers
- April 21, 2013 03:33 PM : Poem: Can I Do It
- April 21, 2013 12:53 AM : Poem: April 20th Coyotes
- April 20, 2013 01:27 AM : Poem: Rainmaker
- April 19, 2013 03:27 PM : Poem: Focus From An Unknown Date
- April 18, 2013 02:45 AM : You Are Beautiful - You May Miss It
- April 17, 2013 11:06 PM : The Most Destructive Thought Of The Week
- April 16, 2013 09:37 PM : Top 5 Rude Things People Do On Airplanes
- April 16, 2013 02:34 AM : Poem: The Faceless Enemy
- April 14, 2013 02:13 PM : War And Battle Is America's Predominant Flow
- April 14, 2013 02:08 AM : Poem: Everyday I Make A Choice