Weird Food: Eating Cuy (Guinea Pig) in Quito, Ecuador
On a Friday afternoon after Spanish class, Carrie and I paid $5 to take part in a tradition that is one of the 5 things you must do while in Ecuador.
These pictures are from the tradition of eating cuy, or guinea pig.
WARNING:This post contains some pretty graphic pictures of dead and cooking animals that still look like guinea pigs.
If you’re okay with that, continue on.
I’ve got a video of this experience as well, so be sure to check that out below. Before the video though, here are a few of the pictures from us cooking and eating cuy.
Contrary to the smile on my face, I’m mildly disgusted by this experience, but hey, I’ll only eat cuy once, and as long as I’m here for the experience, I may as well enjoy it, right?
Cuy for Carrie?
Carrie is pretty much vegetarian (whenever it’s an available option), so I was proud of her for trying a tiny piece of cuy, but I was a brave little toaster and tried more than that of it.
And how does cuy taste? A little like chicken, but more like a greasy and chewy meat…
The greasiness may have come from the oil marinade they used on them. Even taking that into account, cuy wasn’t my favorite meal.
Alex, who is from England and was sitting next to me, kept trying all the other stuff (by other stuff I mean brain, eye, and ear), and so I did as well…
It wasn’t about one-upmanship as much as the feeling of wanting to have the full cuy experience, so long as I was at it.
The indigenous people in Ecuador eat cuy more than the more Spanish influenced population…
But I think most people here eat cuy maybe once or twice a year… Something akin to eating the fruit cake (even if you don’t like it, because) someone made for you.
Some people really like cuy, and a few probably eat it because they can find it for free in the wild.
But it seems that most people just eat cuy because it’s what everyone does during certain times of the year or at certain holidays.
This is a meal and experience I am glad to have done once, and am not too likely to repeat…
(Random graffiti we coincidentally encountered about 2 hours after finishing our cuy)
Though the cuy wasn’t my favorite, I really enjoyed making this video (below) so I hope you enjoy watching it!
Would love any thoughts/feedback on my video or anything else about our cuy experience in Quito!
February 12th, 2010
- May 06, 2013 05:46 PM : Poem: Round Rumpus Rocks
- May 03, 2013 07:28 AM : Poem: To Have A FOCUS
- May 02, 2013 12:54 AM : Poem: The Spider In The Scale
- May 01, 2013 01:30 AM : Poem: Be Sure To Bring Some Time With You
- April 29, 2013 01:08 PM : Poem: There Is A New Light (At The Stoplight)
- April 25, 2013 04:53 AM : The Complex World We Live In: Analytics Alone
- April 25, 2013 01:25 AM : Poem: Is Everybody Else?
- April 24, 2013 01:55 AM : Poem: It's My Heart
- April 23, 2013 07:49 PM : Ye Olde English Pub
- April 23, 2013 01:53 AM : Poem: The Life-Givers
- April 21, 2013 03:33 PM : Poem: Can I Do It
- April 21, 2013 12:53 AM : Poem: April 20th Coyotes
- April 20, 2013 01:27 AM : Poem: Rainmaker
- April 19, 2013 03:27 PM : Poem: Focus From An Unknown Date
- April 18, 2013 02:45 AM : You Are Beautiful - You May Miss It
- April 17, 2013 11:06 PM : The Most Destructive Thought Of The Week
- April 16, 2013 09:37 PM : Top 5 Rude Things People Do On Airplanes
- April 16, 2013 02:34 AM : Poem: The Faceless Enemy
- April 14, 2013 02:13 PM : War And Battle Is America's Predominant Flow
- April 14, 2013 02:08 AM : Poem: Everyday I Make A Choice
- April 14, 2013 12:01 AM : Poem: Remember Today
- April 13, 2013 11:29 PM : Poem: I Want To Believe
- April 12, 2013 06:43 PM : Poem: Riddle #6
- April 12, 2013 06:23 AM : Hotel Review: Embassy Suites Oklahoma City (the one on Meridian)
- April 12, 2013 01:09 AM : Poem: Where's the Rose Now?
- April 11, 2013 05:22 PM : 5 Travel Items I Take On Flights
- April 06, 2013 12:50 AM : Poem: To the Girl Whose Name I Do Not Know
- April 05, 2013 09:33 PM : Poem: Golden Glenn
- April 03, 2013 07:01 AM : Poem: Responses From A Song
- April 02, 2013 07:53 AM : Poem: And I
- April 01, 2013 09:36 PM : What Is Cow Patty Bingo?
- March 31, 2013 07:50 AM : Poem: The Middle Man
- March 30, 2013 06:42 AM : Poem: Carry Wings Unbroken
- March 29, 2013 05:35 AM : Poem: Thoughts on EF and LC
- March 28, 2013 01:06 AM : Poem: Where the Angels Play Ball