The Sacred Monkey Forest, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Warning: extreme cuteness, and extreme grossness ahead:
Our friends Misti and Yvette came to Bali on their honeymoon. One story of theirs that really stood out for us was that of the monkey forest, and what NOT to do to a monkey. Just in case you’re wondering, it is not a good idea to take a stick away from a monkey. Right Misti?
The Monkey Forest was only about a 15 minute walk from where we were staying (Jati Homestay). There is an entrance fee of IDR 20,000 (USD $2.25) per person to get in. You can also buy a bunch of bananas for the same price.
The bananas are for feeding the monkeys. Here’s how it works.
You hold a banana over your head in one hand.
Then when you least expect it, a monkey will jump on you from behind,
climb up your back, grab the banana,
and sit on top of your head eating it.
If there are no bananas handy, sweet potatoes work as well.
If you’re really lucky, two monkeys will jump on you.
One of them may even try to take your glasses off your face – because they’re a shiny object and all.
When that doesn’t work, one monkey might check your hair for lice and start grooming you.
And if you are one of the luckiest people around, one of those monkeys will poop on your shoulder while it’s enjoying the snack you gave it.
Yeah, I got pooped on. It’s that monkey. Right there. The one on the left (my right shoulder).
Thankfully we were pretty close to a bathroom, so I was able to wash my shirt off.
The monkey forest is teeming with monkeys. It’s really quite amazing.
There are all kinds: from big dominant male monkeys with big teeth,
to mammas nursing tiny baby monkeys.
And they’re all so cute sporting their monkey Mohawks.
Maybe that’s why they’re macaque monkeys.
To see more monkey pictures, visit our photos page – there is an entire album dedicated only to monkey pictures.
February 16th, 2011
- November 02, 2014 11:43 AM : PBCS
- October 27, 2014 08:27 PM : Prepare To Be Amazed By... well... just watch
- September 12, 2014 06:52 PM : Say What? Take 2 - Hilarious Voice Transcription
- September 10, 2014 05:57 PM : The difference between TSA Pre Check and Clear
- July 04, 2014 03:36 PM : Happy Indepence Day!
- July 02, 2014 10:52 PM : Say what? Hilarious Voice Transcriptions
- June 04, 2014 08:54 AM : Wacky Wednesday #105
- May 28, 2014 08:44 AM : Wacky Wednesday #104
- May 25, 2014 11:54 PM : Human Slavery: How Your Cell Phone Enslaves Or Liberates Humanity (Actual)
- May 09, 2014 07:20 AM : Water Is Life: An Amazing Book
- May 07, 2014 08:47 PM : My favorite ad campaign
- April 24, 2014 10:28 AM : More Amazing Sand Art
- April 23, 2014 10:22 AM : An Amazing 8 Minute Story
- April 21, 2014 08:22 PM : Fooling My Brain
- February 17, 2014 01:41 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - JR Celski
- February 13, 2014 01:49 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - Rico Roman
- February 12, 2014 01:37 PM : Can Plants Think?
- February 11, 2014 05:31 PM : For Our Moms
- February 10, 2014 08:59 AM : A Review of ZipCar: My First ZipCar Experience
- February 08, 2014 01:25 PM : How Olympians Have Changed
- January 15, 2014 09:07 PM : Beatboxing the Blues In Britain (Video)
- January 11, 2014 12:15 PM : This Video Will Make You Hurt
- December 29, 2013 08:46 AM : Poem: When Spoken Into Being
- December 20, 2013 12:40 AM : Poem: My Problem
- December 19, 2013 08:25 AM : Christmas Lights Scavenger Oddities: December Date Night
- December 18, 2013 01:46 AM : Thoughts On A Perfect Fire
- December 17, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: For The Soldiers
- December 15, 2013 12:08 PM : Why Get Out Of America
- December 15, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: As An Eagle
- December 14, 2013 02:02 AM : Poem: Howling In The Night
- December 13, 2013 12:38 AM : Poem: To The Mouse (# 2)
- December 12, 2013 05:49 AM : Go Broncos!
- December 10, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Anointed
- December 09, 2013 08:42 AM : Poem: Father Christmas Is My Step-Dad
- December 07, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: I See