The Sacred Monkey Forest, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Warning: extreme cuteness, and extreme grossness ahead:
Our friends Misti and Yvette came to Bali on their honeymoon. One story of theirs that really stood out for us was that of the monkey forest, and what NOT to do to a monkey. Just in case you’re wondering, it is not a good idea to take a stick away from a monkey. Right Misti?
The Monkey Forest was only about a 15 minute walk from where we were staying (Jati Homestay). There is an entrance fee of IDR 20,000 (USD $2.25) per person to get in. You can also buy a bunch of bananas for the same price.
The bananas are for feeding the monkeys. Here’s how it works.
You hold a banana over your head in one hand.
Then when you least expect it, a monkey will jump on you from behind,
climb up your back, grab the banana,
and sit on top of your head eating it.
If there are no bananas handy, sweet potatoes work as well.
If you’re really lucky, two monkeys will jump on you.
One of them may even try to take your glasses off your face – because they’re a shiny object and all.
When that doesn’t work, one monkey might check your hair for lice and start grooming you.
And if you are one of the luckiest people around, one of those monkeys will poop on your shoulder while it’s enjoying the snack you gave it.
Yeah, I got pooped on. It’s that monkey. Right there. The one on the left (my right shoulder).
Thankfully we were pretty close to a bathroom, so I was able to wash my shirt off.
The monkey forest is teeming with monkeys. It’s really quite amazing.
There are all kinds: from big dominant male monkeys with big teeth,
to mammas nursing tiny baby monkeys.
And they’re all so cute sporting their monkey Mohawks.
Maybe that’s why they’re macaque monkeys.
To see more monkey pictures, visit our photos page – there is an entire album dedicated only to monkey pictures.
February 16th, 2011
- May 26, 2013 01:05 AM : Poem: The Men Came
- May 21, 2013 01:03 AM : Poem: The Cricket March
- May 20, 2013 12:58 AM : Poem: May 20, 1996
- May 18, 2013 10:11 PM : Poems from 18th May, 2008
- May 18, 2013 09:06 PM : Poem: Let's Eat Ice Cream
- May 17, 2013 07:32 AM : Poem: A Mountain Of Thought
- May 16, 2013 09:05 PM : Poem: By the Beach
- May 15, 2013 12:56 AM : Poems Based on William Carlos Williams
- May 14, 2013 12:36 AM : A Perfect Weekend In Las Vegas
- May 13, 2013 08:07 AM : A Note To Me From The Dilbert Cube
- May 13, 2013 07:12 AM : What Alaska Airlines does in Seattle’s airport
- May 12, 2013 10:06 PM : Poem: Into Whose Pockets?
- May 12, 2013 01:56 AM : Poem: Mothers and Children
- May 11, 2013 07:22 AM : What Southwest Airlines Did For Mother’s Day
- May 10, 2013 10:04 PM : Poem: Clean Out The Old
- May 06, 2013 05:46 PM : Poem: Round Rumpus Rocks
- May 03, 2013 07:28 AM : Poem: To Have A FOCUS
- May 02, 2013 12:54 AM : Poem: The Spider In The Scale
- May 01, 2013 01:30 AM : Poem: Be Sure To Bring Some Time With You
- April 29, 2013 01:08 PM : Poem: There Is A New Light (At The Stoplight)
- April 25, 2013 04:53 AM : The Complex World We Live In: Analytics Alone
- April 25, 2013 01:25 AM : Poem: Is Everybody Else?
- April 24, 2013 01:55 AM : Poem: It's My Heart
- April 23, 2013 07:49 PM : Ye Olde English Pub
- April 23, 2013 01:53 AM : Poem: The Life-Givers
- April 21, 2013 03:33 PM : Poem: Can I Do It
- April 21, 2013 12:53 AM : Poem: April 20th Coyotes
- April 20, 2013 01:27 AM : Poem: Rainmaker
- April 19, 2013 03:27 PM : Poem: Focus From An Unknown Date
- April 18, 2013 02:45 AM : You Are Beautiful - You May Miss It
- April 17, 2013 11:06 PM : The Most Destructive Thought Of The Week
- April 16, 2013 09:37 PM : Top 5 Rude Things People Do On Airplanes
- April 16, 2013 02:34 AM : Poem: The Faceless Enemy
- April 14, 2013 02:13 PM : War And Battle Is America's Predominant Flow
- April 14, 2013 02:08 AM : Poem: Everyday I Make A Choice