Tallinn, Estonia: Two Days Is Too Few
We’ve been in quite a few countries these past 2 years. Estonia is my 41st country overall.
Since about 2002, I have wanted to visit Estonia. The idea of traveling around in Northern Europe and coming down through Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania (after visiting Finland) was always part of the idea which also included visiting Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.
It didn’t go quite that way this time.
We’re wanting to get back to the United States to see our families and the new members of our families.
But after just two days in Tallinn, I do believe we will return to Estonia.
We only visited the Tallinn, and we enjoyed ourselves.
There isn’t anything in particular I would recommend you see, but walking around the old town is really nice. The city is really wifi-enabled, and almost everywhere you go, it’s possible to get wireless Internet for free.
There are beautiful churches from the 1300s, old city walls from the same time period, and many nice coffee shops and restaurants. Most of the restaurants you can eat in, in the old town, are in buildings that are at least 300 years old.
That, combined with small houses nestled in to corners, cobblestone streets, friendly people (who all seem to speak amazing English), and “ye olde tyme” style street carts with wooden wheels and old Germanic lettering, give the city a feeling of quaintness.
Up until the beginning of 2011, Estonia maintained it’s own currency. But at the start of 2011, they began using the Euro. This, combined with the upward mobility and growth of Estonians has led to an increase in prices. However, compared with Finland, Tallinn’s prices seem to be about 75% as expensive, so maybe on par with (or slightly more expensive than,) Munich, Germany.
For us, the city gave off a feeling of being home. Perhaps that is because the apartment we stayed in was perfect for us.
It’s definitely possible that you could get bored if you were wanting to explore new things in Tallinn, and thinking you could do that for a month or two, but for us, two days in Tallinn was too few.
October 24th, 2011
- November 02, 2014 11:43 AM : PBCS
- October 27, 2014 08:27 PM : Prepare To Be Amazed By... well... just watch
- September 12, 2014 06:52 PM : Say What? Take 2 - Hilarious Voice Transcription
- September 10, 2014 05:57 PM : The difference between TSA Pre Check and Clear
- July 04, 2014 03:36 PM : Happy Indepence Day!
- July 02, 2014 10:52 PM : Say what? Hilarious Voice Transcriptions
- June 04, 2014 08:54 AM : Wacky Wednesday #105
- May 28, 2014 08:44 AM : Wacky Wednesday #104
- May 25, 2014 11:54 PM : Human Slavery: How Your Cell Phone Enslaves Or Liberates Humanity (Actual)
- May 09, 2014 07:20 AM : Water Is Life: An Amazing Book
- May 07, 2014 08:47 PM : My favorite ad campaign
- April 24, 2014 10:28 AM : More Amazing Sand Art
- April 23, 2014 10:22 AM : An Amazing 8 Minute Story
- April 21, 2014 08:22 PM : Fooling My Brain
- February 17, 2014 01:41 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - JR Celski
- February 13, 2014 01:49 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - Rico Roman
- February 12, 2014 01:37 PM : Can Plants Think?
- February 11, 2014 05:31 PM : For Our Moms
- February 10, 2014 08:59 AM : A Review of ZipCar: My First ZipCar Experience
- February 08, 2014 01:25 PM : How Olympians Have Changed
- January 15, 2014 09:07 PM : Beatboxing the Blues In Britain (Video)
- January 11, 2014 12:15 PM : This Video Will Make You Hurt
- December 29, 2013 08:46 AM : Poem: When Spoken Into Being
- December 20, 2013 12:40 AM : Poem: My Problem
- December 19, 2013 08:25 AM : Christmas Lights Scavenger Oddities: December Date Night
- December 18, 2013 01:46 AM : Thoughts On A Perfect Fire
- December 17, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: For The Soldiers
- December 15, 2013 12:08 PM : Why Get Out Of America
- December 15, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: As An Eagle
- December 14, 2013 02:02 AM : Poem: Howling In The Night
- December 13, 2013 12:38 AM : Poem: To The Mouse (# 2)
- December 12, 2013 05:49 AM : Go Broncos!
- December 10, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Anointed
- December 09, 2013 08:42 AM : Poem: Father Christmas Is My Step-Dad
- December 07, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: I See