Slovenia: Meeting distant cousins
To the left of Carrie in this picture, you will see Viktorija and Polonca.
Viktorija is pronounced Vic tore ee yuh – like Americans say Victoria.
She is Slovenian.
Viktorija and I share the same great-great-grandfather (That’s two greats).
Grandma went to Slovenia more than 20 years ago with my Aunt Kerry.
Speaking no Slovenian, in pre-Internet era, they managed to track down some of the relatives who had continued living in Slovenia.
Grandma’s parents (my great grandparents) had come to the US, but both died when Grandma was young.
I don’t know how Kerry and Grandma did all that tracking down and communicating without email.
I assume they showed up in the town and asked around a lot.
A few weeks ago, I asked my grandma for the address of her known relatives in Slovenia.
Grandma emailed me the address of Martina.
Grandma didn’t actually meet Martina when she was in Slovenia, but I assume that somehow Pepca (one of Grandma’s cousins) introduced Grandma to Martina in letters.
(I’ll ask Grandma to clarify it at some point.)
Martina is the daughter of Pepca. Pepca has now passed on, but had 12 children. (10 of them are still living.)
I sent Martina a letter, and got a response from Viktorija (Martina’s daughter) via email, in English.
Martina had given my letter to Viktorija, since Martina doesn’t speak English.
Viktorija arranged everything for us in Slovenia, which included staying the night at Martina’s small winery, overlooking the town of Kostanjevica, Slovenia.
Staying at a winery is something Carrie and I have wanted to do a long time (since learning about the idea in Mendoza, Argentina in 2008.)
Viktorija definitely helped us make the most of our time by scheduling us to meet with lots of the family of Pepca.
In addition to meeting quite a few of the descendants of Pepca, we also met Albina (another of Grandma’s cousins), and a few of her descendants, including two great-grandchildren.
I will talk more about the beauty of Slovenia in a different post, but it was amazing.
Our time in Slovenia was made even more amazing by the depth of the care and hospitality we were shown by everyone.
I’m just disappointed our time was so short (this time), but it’s amazing to have made this connection.
We will definitely be back to spend more time with distant cousins (who are suddenly not so distant) in Slovenia.
August 2nd, 2011
- July 04, 2014 03:36 PM : Happy Indepence Day!
- July 02, 2014 10:52 PM : Say what? Hilarious Voice Tanscriptions
- June 04, 2014 08:54 AM : Wacky Wednesday #105
- May 28, 2014 08:44 AM : Wacky Wednesday #104
- May 25, 2014 11:54 PM : Human Slavery: How Your Cell Phone Enslaves Or Liberates Humanity (Actual)
- May 09, 2014 07:20 AM : Water Is Life: An Amazing Book
- May 07, 2014 08:47 PM : My favorite ad campaign
- April 24, 2014 10:28 AM : More Amazing Sand Art
- April 23, 2014 10:22 AM : An Amazing 8 Minute Story
- April 21, 2014 08:22 PM : Fooling My Brain
- February 17, 2014 01:41 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - JR Celski
- February 13, 2014 01:49 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - Rico Roman
- February 12, 2014 01:37 PM : Can Plants Think?
- February 11, 2014 05:31 PM : For Our Moms
- February 10, 2014 08:59 AM : A Review of ZipCar: My First ZipCar Experience
- February 08, 2014 01:25 PM : How Olympians Have Changed
- January 15, 2014 09:07 PM : Beatboxing the Blues In Britain (Video)
- January 11, 2014 12:15 PM : This Video Will Make You Hurt
- December 29, 2013 08:46 AM : Poem: When Spoken Into Being
- December 20, 2013 12:40 AM : Poem: My Problem
- December 19, 2013 08:25 AM : Christmas Lights Scavenger Oddities: December Date Night
- December 18, 2013 01:46 AM : Thoughts On A Perfect Fire
- December 17, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: For The Soldiers
- December 15, 2013 12:08 PM : Why Get Out Of America
- December 15, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: As An Eagle
- December 14, 2013 02:02 AM : Poem: Howling In The Night
- December 13, 2013 12:38 AM : Poem: To The Mouse (# 2)
- December 12, 2013 05:49 AM : Go Broncos!
- December 10, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Anointed
- December 09, 2013 08:42 AM : Poem: Father Christmas Is My Step-Dad
- December 07, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: I See
- December 06, 2013 01:47 AM : Poem: I Feel So Separated
- December 03, 2013 12:43 AM : Poem: It's Time
- November 30, 2013 12:25 AM : Poem: The Monkey
- November 29, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: Crushed