Slovenia: Meeting distant cousins
To the left of Carrie in this picture, you will see Viktorija and Polonca.
Viktorija is pronounced Vic tore ee yuh – like Americans say Victoria.
She is Slovenian.
Viktorija and I share the same great-great-grandfather (That’s two greats).
Grandma went to Slovenia more than 20 years ago with my Aunt Kerry.
Speaking no Slovenian, in pre-Internet era, they managed to track down some of the relatives who had continued living in Slovenia.
Grandma’s parents (my great grandparents) had come to the US, but both died when Grandma was young.
I don’t know how Kerry and Grandma did all that tracking down and communicating without email.
I assume they showed up in the town and asked around a lot.
A few weeks ago, I asked my grandma for the address of her known relatives in Slovenia.
Grandma emailed me the address of Martina.
Grandma didn’t actually meet Martina when she was in Slovenia, but I assume that somehow Pepca (one of Grandma’s cousins) introduced Grandma to Martina in letters.
(I’ll ask Grandma to clarify it at some point.)
Martina is the daughter of Pepca. Pepca has now passed on, but had 12 children. (10 of them are still living.)
I sent Martina a letter, and got a response from Viktorija (Martina’s daughter) via email, in English.
Martina had given my letter to Viktorija, since Martina doesn’t speak English.
Viktorija arranged everything for us in Slovenia, which included staying the night at Martina’s small winery, overlooking the town of Kostanjevica, Slovenia.
Staying at a winery is something Carrie and I have wanted to do a long time (since learning about the idea in Mendoza, Argentina in 2008.)
Viktorija definitely helped us make the most of our time by scheduling us to meet with lots of the family of Pepca.
In addition to meeting quite a few of the descendants of Pepca, we also met Albina (another of Grandma’s cousins), and a few of her descendants, including two great-grandchildren.
I will talk more about the beauty of Slovenia in a different post, but it was amazing.
Our time in Slovenia was made even more amazing by the depth of the care and hospitality we were shown by everyone.
I’m just disappointed our time was so short (this time), but it’s amazing to have made this connection.
We will definitely be back to spend more time with distant cousins (who are suddenly not so distant) in Slovenia.
August 2nd, 2011
- May 26, 2013 01:05 AM : Poem: The Men Came
- May 21, 2013 01:03 AM : Poem: The Cricket March
- May 20, 2013 12:58 AM : Poem: May 20, 1996
- May 18, 2013 10:11 PM : Poems from 18th May, 2008
- May 18, 2013 09:06 PM : Poem: Let's Eat Ice Cream
- May 17, 2013 07:32 AM : Poem: A Mountain Of Thought
- May 16, 2013 09:05 PM : Poem: By the Beach
- May 15, 2013 12:56 AM : Poems Based on William Carlos Williams
- May 14, 2013 12:36 AM : A Perfect Weekend In Las Vegas
- May 13, 2013 08:07 AM : A Note To Me From The Dilbert Cube
- May 13, 2013 07:12 AM : What Alaska Airlines does in Seattle’s airport
- May 12, 2013 10:06 PM : Poem: Into Whose Pockets?
- May 12, 2013 01:56 AM : Poem: Mothers and Children
- May 11, 2013 07:22 AM : What Southwest Airlines Did For Mother’s Day
- May 10, 2013 10:04 PM : Poem: Clean Out The Old
- May 06, 2013 05:46 PM : Poem: Round Rumpus Rocks
- May 03, 2013 07:28 AM : Poem: To Have A FOCUS
- May 02, 2013 12:54 AM : Poem: The Spider In The Scale
- May 01, 2013 01:30 AM : Poem: Be Sure To Bring Some Time With You
- April 29, 2013 01:08 PM : Poem: There Is A New Light (At The Stoplight)
- April 25, 2013 04:53 AM : The Complex World We Live In: Analytics Alone
- April 25, 2013 01:25 AM : Poem: Is Everybody Else?
- April 24, 2013 01:55 AM : Poem: It's My Heart
- April 23, 2013 07:49 PM : Ye Olde English Pub
- April 23, 2013 01:53 AM : Poem: The Life-Givers
- April 21, 2013 03:33 PM : Poem: Can I Do It
- April 21, 2013 12:53 AM : Poem: April 20th Coyotes
- April 20, 2013 01:27 AM : Poem: Rainmaker
- April 19, 2013 03:27 PM : Poem: Focus From An Unknown Date
- April 18, 2013 02:45 AM : You Are Beautiful - You May Miss It
- April 17, 2013 11:06 PM : The Most Destructive Thought Of The Week
- April 16, 2013 09:37 PM : Top 5 Rude Things People Do On Airplanes
- April 16, 2013 02:34 AM : Poem: The Faceless Enemy
- April 14, 2013 02:13 PM : War And Battle Is America's Predominant Flow
- April 14, 2013 02:08 AM : Poem: Everyday I Make A Choice