One of Jonathan’s favorite holidays is Thanksgiving. I like the reasoning behind the holiday, but the food has never really been my motivator for Thanksgiving anticipation.
Only recently have I actually enjoyed eating the traditional Thanksgiving meal. But, since it is one of Jonathan’s absolute favorite dinners, and a very American tradition, I had to do something.
And of course, we have plenty to be thankful for this year.
So, we decided that if we couldn’t celebrate with our proper family, we would celebrate with our Auckland family. We invited a group of friends over for a “traditional” Thanksgiving feast.
There were two major challenges with this plan.
One. Our apartment does not have an oven. No oven, and only a 2 burner stove-top, and a hotel-sized mini fridge.
Two. It is nearly impossible to come by turkeys in New Zealand.
Challenge number two, actually made challenge number one a little easier. (I don’t have to worry about how to roast a turkey, when there are no turkeys to speak of.)
My mission this year was to cook a proper Thanksgiving feast, but without an oven. Or a turkey, or pumpkin from a can.
The pumpkin challenge was easy. I just chopped, boiled, pealed, and mashed (by hand, with a fork) a pumpkin.
Unfortunately, this year it wasn’t for pumpkin pie. (No oven.) But, it was for pumpkin mousse.
We had quite a delicious feast if I do say so myself (and obviously I do).
Pan “roasted” chicken
Chestnut, leek, and apple stuffing
Orange scented green beans
Vanilla whipped sweet potatoes
Spiced pumpkin mousse
And our friends Dale and James showed off their mad pie skills and brought 3 pies. Because, after all, what would Thanksgiving be without pie?
I’ll post the recipes and how the whole process went in future posts, but for now, Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone! And thank you to James, Dale, Lucia, Ivan, Anu, and Anu’s husband for coming!
November 30th, 2010
- November 02, 2014 11:43 AM : PBCS
- October 27, 2014 08:27 PM : Prepare To Be Amazed By... well... just watch
- September 12, 2014 06:52 PM : Say What? Take 2 - Hilarious Voice Transcription
- September 10, 2014 05:57 PM : The difference between TSA Pre Check and Clear
- July 04, 2014 03:36 PM : Happy Indepence Day!
- July 02, 2014 10:52 PM : Say what? Hilarious Voice Transcriptions
- June 04, 2014 08:54 AM : Wacky Wednesday #105
- May 28, 2014 08:44 AM : Wacky Wednesday #104
- May 25, 2014 11:54 PM : Human Slavery: How Your Cell Phone Enslaves Or Liberates Humanity (Actual)
- May 09, 2014 07:20 AM : Water Is Life: An Amazing Book
- May 07, 2014 08:47 PM : My favorite ad campaign
- April 24, 2014 10:28 AM : More Amazing Sand Art
- April 23, 2014 10:22 AM : An Amazing 8 Minute Story
- April 21, 2014 08:22 PM : Fooling My Brain
- February 17, 2014 01:41 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - JR Celski
- February 13, 2014 01:49 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - Rico Roman
- February 12, 2014 01:37 PM : Can Plants Think?
- February 11, 2014 05:31 PM : For Our Moms
- February 10, 2014 08:59 AM : A Review of ZipCar: My First ZipCar Experience
- February 08, 2014 01:25 PM : How Olympians Have Changed
- January 15, 2014 09:07 PM : Beatboxing the Blues In Britain (Video)
- January 11, 2014 12:15 PM : This Video Will Make You Hurt
- December 29, 2013 08:46 AM : Poem: When Spoken Into Being
- December 20, 2013 12:40 AM : Poem: My Problem
- December 19, 2013 08:25 AM : Christmas Lights Scavenger Oddities: December Date Night
- December 18, 2013 01:46 AM : Thoughts On A Perfect Fire
- December 17, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: For The Soldiers
- December 15, 2013 12:08 PM : Why Get Out Of America
- December 15, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: As An Eagle
- December 14, 2013 02:02 AM : Poem: Howling In The Night
- December 13, 2013 12:38 AM : Poem: To The Mouse (# 2)
- December 12, 2013 05:49 AM : Go Broncos!
- December 10, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Anointed
- December 09, 2013 08:42 AM : Poem: Father Christmas Is My Step-Dad
- December 07, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: I See