Mushroom Foraging in Zuberec, Slovakia
I have never been foraging for wild mushrooms. I’ve gone to pick raspberries or find stuff in the garden, but it’s almost always been for things that I was directly involved with growing.
So the idea of going foraging for wild mushrooms with people who really know what they were doing seemed quite fun and exciting.
Peter, Ivo, and Lucia and I all set out into the forest, about 30 minutes from Lucia’s parent’s house.
For the next hour, we walked through the underbrush looking for the mushrooms that were edible, and avoiding the mushrooms that were poisonous.
The ones that are poisonous have button-looking spores on top.
They also have ruffles underneath.
So I was told.
However, it’s not always true.
Case in point: Every mushroom I pointed at was either poisonous or not tasty.
“How do you know which are good and which aren’t?” I asked Lucia.
“You just know,” she responded.
The next 30 minutes were spent with me picking mushrooms and asking Lucia, Ivo, or Peter variations of the question, “How about this one?”
Lucia: “Definitely not”
After about an hour, Ivo was the decided winner in the mushroom finding contest (a source of pride among my three friends).
Ivo found more mushrooms, and better quality mushrooms. But Peter and Lucia also found quite a few to take home.
My count of found mushrooms: 154.
My count of found EDIBLE mushrooms: 0.
Guess I’m going to have to do this a bit more to know what’s edible (or edible and flavorful) and what’s not.
But the time spent in the Slovakian forest was amazing.
The Goulash made by Lucia’s mom from the mushrooms was also super fantastic.
(And three of the mushrooms that came back from the foraging were potentially poisonous… but Lucia’s mom picked them out before cooking the Goulash.)
On the way back, we found bushes growing with thousands of the sweetest and most flavorful wild raspberries I’ve ever had, and I got to take pictures of the amazing sunset over the mountains of Slovakia.
Thanks Peter, Lucia, and Ivo, for taking me on my first ever mushroom foraging experience.
August 18th, 2011
- December 03, 2013 12:43 AM : Poem: It's Time
- November 30, 2013 12:25 AM : Poem: The Monkey
- November 29, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: Crushed
- November 28, 2013 12:28 AM : Poem: The River
- November 26, 2013 12:34 AM : Poem: A Maze
- November 25, 2013 02:52 AM : Poem: What Legacy?
- November 24, 2013 12:36 AM : Poem: Regarding Guilt
- November 17, 2013 03:55 PM : A downtown billboard
- November 16, 2013 04:55 PM : 25 More Places to Travel
- November 15, 2013 12:21 AM : Poem: True Beauty
- November 10, 2013 02:00 AM : Poem: The Shortness Of Life
- November 08, 2013 12:26 AM : Poem: To The Mouse
- November 05, 2013 09:31 AM : Scary Skydiving
- November 05, 2013 07:31 AM : Poem: Knowing I'm An Angel (To You)
- November 03, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: Confused
- November 01, 2013 12:39 AM : Poem: There Is A Light
- October 31, 2013 12:18 AM : Poem: The Fog
- October 30, 2013 01:12 AM : Poem: Why Do I Run To Utopia
- October 29, 2013 12:35 AM : Poem: A Rose
- October 26, 2013 10:51 PM : Sprichwort (Advice): Pursue The Story In Your Heart
- October 25, 2013 05:30 AM : Denver in the morning
- October 22, 2013 06:39 AM : Love For A City: An Amazing Tribute
- October 18, 2013 12:15 AM : Poems: The Elements
- October 17, 2013 08:56 AM : Crazy Human Influence: Easier Thank You Think
- October 10, 2013 06:30 PM : Same same, but different
- October 01, 2013 12:37 AM : Poem: Touchdown In Memphis
- September 30, 2013 11:37 AM : Happy 6th Anniversary!
- September 29, 2013 09:08 PM : Super Slow-Mo First Time Foods
- September 27, 2013 12:52 PM : Happy Birthday Results
- September 27, 2013 11:18 AM : Happy birthday to me!
- September 26, 2013 07:00 AM : Poem: A Prayer For Growth
- September 24, 2013 01:43 AM : Poem: What New Thing?
- September 20, 2013 10:25 AM : Small Snails
- September 18, 2013 10:47 AM : Tiny Texas frog
- September 18, 2013 10:44 AM : Tiny Texas frog