Mushroom Foraging in Zuberec, Slovakia
I have never been foraging for wild mushrooms. I’ve gone to pick raspberries or find stuff in the garden, but it’s almost always been for things that I was directly involved with growing.
So the idea of going foraging for wild mushrooms with people who really know what they were doing seemed quite fun and exciting.
Peter, Ivo, and Lucia and I all set out into the forest, about 30 minutes from Lucia’s parent’s house.
For the next hour, we walked through the underbrush looking for the mushrooms that were edible, and avoiding the mushrooms that were poisonous.
The ones that are poisonous have button-looking spores on top.
They also have ruffles underneath.
So I was told.
However, it’s not always true.
Case in point: Every mushroom I pointed at was either poisonous or not tasty.
“How do you know which are good and which aren’t?” I asked Lucia.
“You just know,” she responded.
The next 30 minutes were spent with me picking mushrooms and asking Lucia, Ivo, or Peter variations of the question, “How about this one?”
Lucia: “Definitely not”
After about an hour, Ivo was the decided winner in the mushroom finding contest (a source of pride among my three friends).
Ivo found more mushrooms, and better quality mushrooms. But Peter and Lucia also found quite a few to take home.
My count of found mushrooms: 154.
My count of found EDIBLE mushrooms: 0.
Guess I’m going to have to do this a bit more to know what’s edible (or edible and flavorful) and what’s not.
But the time spent in the Slovakian forest was amazing.
The Goulash made by Lucia’s mom from the mushrooms was also super fantastic.
(And three of the mushrooms that came back from the foraging were potentially poisonous… but Lucia’s mom picked them out before cooking the Goulash.)
On the way back, we found bushes growing with thousands of the sweetest and most flavorful wild raspberries I’ve ever had, and I got to take pictures of the amazing sunset over the mountains of Slovakia.
Thanks Peter, Lucia, and Ivo, for taking me on my first ever mushroom foraging experience.
August 18th, 2011
- July 04, 2014 03:36 PM : Happy Indepence Day!
- July 02, 2014 10:52 PM : Say what? Hilarious Voice Tanscriptions
- June 04, 2014 08:54 AM : Wacky Wednesday #105
- May 28, 2014 08:44 AM : Wacky Wednesday #104
- May 25, 2014 11:54 PM : Human Slavery: How Your Cell Phone Enslaves Or Liberates Humanity (Actual)
- May 09, 2014 07:20 AM : Water Is Life: An Amazing Book
- May 07, 2014 08:47 PM : My favorite ad campaign
- April 24, 2014 10:28 AM : More Amazing Sand Art
- April 23, 2014 10:22 AM : An Amazing 8 Minute Story
- April 21, 2014 08:22 PM : Fooling My Brain
- February 17, 2014 01:41 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - JR Celski
- February 13, 2014 01:49 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - Rico Roman
- February 12, 2014 01:37 PM : Can Plants Think?
- February 11, 2014 05:31 PM : For Our Moms
- February 10, 2014 08:59 AM : A Review of ZipCar: My First ZipCar Experience
- February 08, 2014 01:25 PM : How Olympians Have Changed
- January 15, 2014 09:07 PM : Beatboxing the Blues In Britain (Video)
- January 11, 2014 12:15 PM : This Video Will Make You Hurt
- December 29, 2013 08:46 AM : Poem: When Spoken Into Being
- December 20, 2013 12:40 AM : Poem: My Problem
- December 19, 2013 08:25 AM : Christmas Lights Scavenger Oddities: December Date Night
- December 18, 2013 01:46 AM : Thoughts On A Perfect Fire
- December 17, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: For The Soldiers
- December 15, 2013 12:08 PM : Why Get Out Of America
- December 15, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: As An Eagle
- December 14, 2013 02:02 AM : Poem: Howling In The Night
- December 13, 2013 12:38 AM : Poem: To The Mouse (# 2)
- December 12, 2013 05:49 AM : Go Broncos!
- December 10, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Anointed
- December 09, 2013 08:42 AM : Poem: Father Christmas Is My Step-Dad
- December 07, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: I See
- December 06, 2013 01:47 AM : Poem: I Feel So Separated
- December 03, 2013 12:43 AM : Poem: It's Time
- November 30, 2013 12:25 AM : Poem: The Monkey
- November 29, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: Crushed