Hosteria Duran: A Review of Hosteria Duran near Cuenca, Ecuador
A Review of Hosteria Duran in Banos, (near Cuenca, Ecuador)
For the first time in 7 months, it’s quiet.
Not the kind of quiet you get by drowning out all other ambient sound with a fan or earplugs, but the kind of quiet where even birds chriping outside the window sound a bit loud.
We’ve been living in Quito for 10 weeks.
Even our weekend jaunt to the small town of Mindo left us wanting some peace and quiet.
We’ve found that peace and quiet here at the Hosteria Duran, near Cuenca, Ecuador.
Hosteria Duran is both a day spa (with a hot springs/pool, steam rooms, and massages,) and a hotel.
At $85/night, Hosteria Duran is the most expensive place we’ve stayed in Ecuador.
$85 at this Hosteria gets you access to the large hot springs pool, steam saunas (banos turcos – Turkish baths), and racquetball/squash courts.
Breakfast is also included in the price of the room.
$85 also gets you comfortable beds, cable TV (I don’t think we’ve used this in a hotel since last October), hot showers, and most importantly, a quiet and cozy place to sleep.
It’s not fair to judge Hosteria Duran for the guy in the room above us, so I won’t do that here.
However, we were able to hear the guy above us quiet clearly. He spent the evening (until about midnight and again for an hour from 7:45 AM-8:45 AM) stomping around on the floor and more or less yelling into his cell phone.
In the morning, some woman from another room came and had what sounded to be a very heated discussion with him about something for about 10 minutes.
However, it might have just been a normal conversation, in very loud voices, which (we’ve come to experience) are the norm in central and South America.
When he wasn’t at it, we really experienced some peace here.
If you’re willing to spend a little more money than other places around, and like steam saunas and hot springs pools, we think it’s worth a visit to Hosteria Duran if you want a nice place to stay outside of Cuenca, Ecuador.
April 16th, 2010
- July 04, 2014 03:36 PM : Happy Indepence Day!
- July 02, 2014 10:52 PM : Say what? Hilarious Voice Tanscriptions
- June 04, 2014 08:54 AM : Wacky Wednesday #105
- May 28, 2014 08:44 AM : Wacky Wednesday #104
- May 25, 2014 11:54 PM : Human Slavery: How Your Cell Phone Enslaves Or Liberates Humanity (Actual)
- May 09, 2014 07:20 AM : Water Is Life: An Amazing Book
- May 07, 2014 08:47 PM : My favorite ad campaign
- April 24, 2014 10:28 AM : More Amazing Sand Art
- April 23, 2014 10:22 AM : An Amazing 8 Minute Story
- April 21, 2014 08:22 PM : Fooling My Brain
- February 17, 2014 01:41 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - JR Celski
- February 13, 2014 01:49 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - Rico Roman
- February 12, 2014 01:37 PM : Can Plants Think?
- February 11, 2014 05:31 PM : For Our Moms
- February 10, 2014 08:59 AM : A Review of ZipCar: My First ZipCar Experience
- February 08, 2014 01:25 PM : How Olympians Have Changed
- January 15, 2014 09:07 PM : Beatboxing the Blues In Britain (Video)
- January 11, 2014 12:15 PM : This Video Will Make You Hurt
- December 29, 2013 08:46 AM : Poem: When Spoken Into Being
- December 20, 2013 12:40 AM : Poem: My Problem
- December 19, 2013 08:25 AM : Christmas Lights Scavenger Oddities: December Date Night
- December 18, 2013 01:46 AM : Thoughts On A Perfect Fire
- December 17, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: For The Soldiers
- December 15, 2013 12:08 PM : Why Get Out Of America
- December 15, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: As An Eagle
- December 14, 2013 02:02 AM : Poem: Howling In The Night
- December 13, 2013 12:38 AM : Poem: To The Mouse (# 2)
- December 12, 2013 05:49 AM : Go Broncos!
- December 10, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Anointed
- December 09, 2013 08:42 AM : Poem: Father Christmas Is My Step-Dad
- December 07, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: I See
- December 06, 2013 01:47 AM : Poem: I Feel So Separated
- December 03, 2013 12:43 AM : Poem: It's Time
- November 30, 2013 12:25 AM : Poem: The Monkey
- November 29, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: Crushed