He Bought My Groceries
I had, what could only be described (by me) as a pretty difficult morning.
I was yelled at for 20 minutes for something that I did not cause, and had very little to do with.
Someone decided to take out their anger and frustration and aggression on me.
Perhaps this was cosmic Retribution for something I’ve done in the past.
Regardless, it was a rough morning.
And by 6 PM, I was feeling pretty done with people, with work, and with life in general.
Perhaps you’ve been there at some point in life?
I went for a walk, planning that I would end up at the grocery store.
When there, I picked up the best bag of discounted grapes I could find, some almond milk, a tangerine, and some coconut water.
I was talking with Carrie on the phone on my way to the checkout counter, and suddenly realized I had left my wallet.
I had no money.
Returning my grapes (and feeling like a complete moron) someone asked me “Something wrong with those grapes?”
“No,” I said. “I think these are the best grapes available here.”
I was carrying all of my picked up groceries back to the various places in the store to put them back.
But the man came who had been at the grapes came up to me (like went out of his way to find me in the back of the store) and said, “Hey man, I will probably meet you again, but even if you don’t, I’ve got your groceries.”
I think my groceries might have cost $8.24 at the checkout.
That’s what he covered for me.
However, to Nej, the math professor at Auraria, who picked up the cost of my groceries at the store today, your gesture meant the world to me.
It reminded me how a very little act can make a huge difference in someone’s day.
If you can make a difference in someone’s day, you can make their week different.
If you can make their week different, you can make their month, year, and life different.
You probably can’t change who they are, but you can change their experience in the world, just by being kind.
Nej, we may or may not ever meet again. However, thank you for picking up my groceries today.
It meant a lot to me.
August 27th, 2013
- September 03, 2013 10:13 AM : Walgreens
- August 28, 2013 01:56 AM : Poem: Visiting St. Peter’s
- August 27, 2013 10:24 AM : He Bought My Groceries
- August 21, 2013 09:31 AM : Poem: For A Pregnant Wife
- August 16, 2013 11:47 PM : Poem: On Awaking From A Nightmare
- August 07, 2013 08:47 AM : How Germans Speak
- August 04, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Next Door
- July 31, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: From a Retreat In July
- July 30, 2013 01:10 AM : Poem: The Moon
- July 28, 2013 01:28 AM : Another Thought from 1997: Be Gentle
- July 27, 2013 02:10 AM : Poem: Perceptions of Reality
- July 26, 2013 07:21 AM : Poem: All I Could Deposit
- July 22, 2013 01:54 AM : Poem: Quiet Knowledge
- July 15, 2013 01:30 AM : Poem: Across The Horizon
- July 12, 2013 01:08 AM : Poem: The Life That Children Bring
- July 08, 2013 11:20 PM : Poem: Voices to Vices - What Is It?
- July 04, 2013 08:10 PM : Happy Independence Day
- July 04, 2013 02:14 PM : Freedom's Up To Me
- July 02, 2013 01:52 AM : Poem: Potential (Tools to Aid the Soul)
- June 26, 2013 01:50 AM : Poem: A Dream Of...
- June 23, 2013 01:27 AM : A Thought from 1997
- June 19, 2013 01:47 AM : Poem: In This Time Of Life
- June 03, 2013 09:38 PM : Poem: Just For What It Is
- June 02, 2013 01:46 AM : Poem: Even Ice Cream
- June 01, 2013 12:51 PM : Poem: A Wedding Blessing
- May 26, 2013 01:05 AM : Poem: The Men Came
- May 21, 2013 01:03 AM : Poem: The Cricket March
- May 20, 2013 12:58 AM : Poem: May 20, 1996
- May 18, 2013 10:11 PM : Poems from 18th May, 2008
- May 18, 2013 09:06 PM : Poem: Let's Eat Ice Cream
- May 17, 2013 07:32 AM : Poem: A Mountain Of Thought
- May 16, 2013 09:05 PM : Poem: By the Beach
- May 15, 2013 12:56 AM : Poems Based on William Carlos Williams
- May 14, 2013 12:36 AM : A Perfect Weekend In Las Vegas
- May 13, 2013 08:07 AM : A Note To Me From The Dilbert Cube