Ecuadorian food: Chifles (fried plantain chips)
I have seen chifles all over. And not just in Ecuador. We saw chifles in all of Central America, but especially in Costa Rica.
Today our Spanish teacher asked us if we would like to learn how to make chifles. Of course we said yes.
After all, who can turn down a plantain “potato” chip (even if just for the experience)?
Our first stop was to the little corner store to buy a green plantain (a special type of plantain, not just an unripe yellow plantain). This cost us $0.30.
Then we had to pick up some vegetable oil. A half liter cost us $0.75.
We had a great break from class, and learned how to make something quite delicious and traditional.
- 1 green plantain
- .25 L of vegetable oil
First, wash the plantain.
It has a kind of sap on the outside of the skin that will turn your hand black if you don’t wash it off. There’s also a glue”ish” substance, like with a banana, but more intense, between the plantain itself and the skin of the plantain (inside). It can leave your hands quite sticky if you’re not careful when peeling. (They call it the milk of the plantain in Spanish.)
Peel the plantain.
Cut two parallel scores down the length, and peel the space between. Continue until the whole thing has been peeled.
Set a frying pan on the stove and heat up the oil.
Slice the plantain as thinly as you can.
Fry in the oil until the plantain turns a bright yellow color marbled with brown.
Drain on paper towels.
Add salt to taste.
Eat and enjoy!
They may not be 100% healthy, but depending on the oil you use, chifles are better for you than any potato chips you can buy from any store.
How to Make Chifles (at YouTube)
March 20th, 2010
- February 17, 2014 01:41 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - JR Celski
- February 13, 2014 01:49 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - Rico Roman
- February 12, 2014 01:37 PM : Can Plants Think?
- February 11, 2014 05:31 PM : For Our Moms
- February 10, 2014 08:59 AM : A Review of ZipCar: My First ZipCar Experience
- February 08, 2014 01:25 PM : How Olympians Have Changed
- January 15, 2014 09:07 PM : Beatboxing the Blues In Britain (Video)
- January 11, 2014 12:15 PM : This Video Will Make You Hurt
- December 29, 2013 08:46 AM : Poem: When Spoken Into Being
- December 20, 2013 12:40 AM : Poem: My Problem
- December 19, 2013 08:25 AM : Christmas Lights Scavenger Oddities: December Date Night
- December 18, 2013 01:46 AM : Thoughts On A Perfect Fire
- December 17, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: For The Soldiers
- December 15, 2013 12:08 PM : Why Get Out Of America
- December 15, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: As An Eagle
- December 14, 2013 02:02 AM : Poem: Howling In The Night
- December 13, 2013 12:38 AM : Poem: To The Mouse (# 2)
- December 12, 2013 05:49 AM : Go Broncos!
- December 10, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Anointed
- December 09, 2013 08:42 AM : Poem: Father Christmas Is My Step-Dad
- December 07, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: I See
- December 06, 2013 01:47 AM : Poem: I Feel So Separated
- December 03, 2013 12:43 AM : Poem: It's Time
- November 30, 2013 12:25 AM : Poem: The Monkey
- November 29, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: Crushed
- November 28, 2013 12:28 AM : Poem: The River
- November 26, 2013 12:34 AM : Poem: A Maze
- November 25, 2013 02:52 AM : Poem: What Legacy?
- November 24, 2013 12:36 AM : Poem: Regarding Guilt
- November 17, 2013 03:55 PM : A downtown billboard
- November 16, 2013 04:55 PM : 25 More Places to Travel
- November 15, 2013 12:21 AM : Poem: True Beauty
- November 10, 2013 02:00 AM : Poem: The Shortness Of Life
- November 08, 2013 12:26 AM : Poem: To The Mouse
- November 05, 2013 09:31 AM : Scary Skydiving