Ecuadorian food: Chifles (fried plantain chips)
I have seen chifles all over. And not just in Ecuador. We saw chifles in all of Central America, but especially in Costa Rica.
Today our Spanish teacher asked us if we would like to learn how to make chifles. Of course we said yes.
After all, who can turn down a plantain “potato” chip (even if just for the experience)?
Our first stop was to the little corner store to buy a green plantain (a special type of plantain, not just an unripe yellow plantain). This cost us $0.30.
Then we had to pick up some vegetable oil. A half liter cost us $0.75.
We had a great break from class, and learned how to make something quite delicious and traditional.
- 1 green plantain
- .25 L of vegetable oil
First, wash the plantain.
It has a kind of sap on the outside of the skin that will turn your hand black if you don’t wash it off. There’s also a glue”ish” substance, like with a banana, but more intense, between the plantain itself and the skin of the plantain (inside). It can leave your hands quite sticky if you’re not careful when peeling. (They call it the milk of the plantain in Spanish.)
Peel the plantain.
Cut two parallel scores down the length, and peel the space between. Continue until the whole thing has been peeled.
Set a frying pan on the stove and heat up the oil.
Slice the plantain as thinly as you can.
Fry in the oil until the plantain turns a bright yellow color marbled with brown.
Drain on paper towels.
Add salt to taste.
Eat and enjoy!
They may not be 100% healthy, but depending on the oil you use, chifles are better for you than any potato chips you can buy from any store.
How to Make Chifles (at YouTube)
March 20th, 2010
- May 26, 2013 01:05 AM : Poem: The Men Came
- May 21, 2013 01:03 AM : Poem: The Cricket March
- May 20, 2013 12:58 AM : Poem: May 20, 1996
- May 18, 2013 10:11 PM : Poems from 18th May, 2008
- May 18, 2013 09:06 PM : Poem: Let's Eat Ice Cream
- May 17, 2013 07:32 AM : Poem: A Mountain Of Thought
- May 16, 2013 09:05 PM : Poem: By the Beach
- May 15, 2013 12:56 AM : Poems Based on William Carlos Williams
- May 14, 2013 12:36 AM : A Perfect Weekend In Las Vegas
- May 13, 2013 08:07 AM : A Note To Me From The Dilbert Cube
- May 13, 2013 07:12 AM : What Alaska Airlines does in Seattle’s airport
- May 12, 2013 10:06 PM : Poem: Into Whose Pockets?
- May 12, 2013 01:56 AM : Poem: Mothers and Children
- May 11, 2013 07:22 AM : What Southwest Airlines Did For Mother’s Day
- May 10, 2013 10:04 PM : Poem: Clean Out The Old
- May 06, 2013 05:46 PM : Poem: Round Rumpus Rocks
- May 03, 2013 07:28 AM : Poem: To Have A FOCUS
- May 02, 2013 12:54 AM : Poem: The Spider In The Scale
- May 01, 2013 01:30 AM : Poem: Be Sure To Bring Some Time With You
- April 29, 2013 01:08 PM : Poem: There Is A New Light (At The Stoplight)
- April 25, 2013 04:53 AM : The Complex World We Live In: Analytics Alone
- April 25, 2013 01:25 AM : Poem: Is Everybody Else?
- April 24, 2013 01:55 AM : Poem: It's My Heart
- April 23, 2013 07:49 PM : Ye Olde English Pub
- April 23, 2013 01:53 AM : Poem: The Life-Givers
- April 21, 2013 03:33 PM : Poem: Can I Do It
- April 21, 2013 12:53 AM : Poem: April 20th Coyotes
- April 20, 2013 01:27 AM : Poem: Rainmaker
- April 19, 2013 03:27 PM : Poem: Focus From An Unknown Date
- April 18, 2013 02:45 AM : You Are Beautiful - You May Miss It
- April 17, 2013 11:06 PM : The Most Destructive Thought Of The Week
- April 16, 2013 09:37 PM : Top 5 Rude Things People Do On Airplanes
- April 16, 2013 02:34 AM : Poem: The Faceless Enemy
- April 14, 2013 02:13 PM : War And Battle Is America's Predominant Flow
- April 14, 2013 02:08 AM : Poem: Everyday I Make A Choice