David, Panama to San Jose, Costa Rica on Tracopa
By Bus from San José, Costa Rica to David, Panama through Paso Canoas
We’ve heard that three different companies make the journey from David, Panama to San Jose, Costa Rica. Panaline, Ticabus and Tracopa.
However, we are not sure if Panaline is even in business anymore since their web site has never worked. They might just not have a web site… we really don’t know.
We also found a web site through the Lonely Planet travel forums. It aggregates the bus schedules into one place and has been very helpful (once we figured out how to use it).
it shows that Panaline is still in business (+507-314-6383), but we didn’t take (or even call) Panaline. We wanted to take TicaBus, but we discovered in David that the only place to get a ticket on TicaBus is at their office which is somewhere at a grocery store on the InterAmericana Highway.
Since we were at Hotel Madrid, just two blocks from the bus station, we took Tracopa. And we found the journey from David, Panama to San Jose, Costa Rica to be pleasant, if a little cramped.
From David to the border (Frontera) it should take 45 minutes to one and a half hours. It really depends on the speed of the bus and the flow of traffic.
Overall though, the bus journey from David to the border to San José can take from 6 – 9 hours. Why such a big margin? Well, the roads in Costa Rica aren’t that good. The highway was fine, but cities have lots of bumpy roads. Also, at the border, sometimes buses can run into huge lines of trucks in front of them.
Crossing the border can take from 1 – 3 hours because of bureaucracy (Panamanian and Costa Rican combined).
Our personal experience is that it took 2+ hours at the border, and the crazy goofiness of the whole thing (unloading bags just to reload them, and then 5 minutes per person just to get a stamp on the Panamanian side. The Costa Rican side was basically going through the motions of a bag check, which really seemed to be there just to hold people up on the Costa Rican side.)
It was rather amusing to do once, but not something I would want to do daily, or even every three months, as many expats do.
In my mind, the only way to look at it is with amusement. If you look at the border crossing at Pasao Canoas in any other way, you’re bound to be frustrated.
Roads in Panama are definitively better than their counterpart in Costa Rica.
Tracopa leaves from David to San Jose at 8:30 a.m. They stop at San Jose (as well as other places along the way. Tracopa’s phone number in David is +507-775-0585.
Apparently, (though we don’t have personal experience with Ticabus yet) Ticabus leaves from San José to Panama City at 12:00 p.m. noon and 11:00 p.m. Their buses from Panama City to San José, Costa Rica leave at 11:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. The daytime buses are nicer buses known as “Ejecutivos”. Their phone number in Panama City is +507-314-6385.
You can also look for a bus to the Costa Rican border, and buses from there to San Jose every hour or so.
But if you’re in David and wanting to get to San Jose, we can definitely recommend Tracopa.
Here’s a map with the Hotel Madrid and the bus station in David. Zoom out or zoom in to get better views.
Buy your tickets on Tracopa the day before (or get to the Tracopa office early on the day of your travel to Costa Rica).
Tracopa’s office at the bus terminal in David is easy to miss.
It’s a little storefront (little) between platforms 3 and 4.
Here’s a pic with people standing in front of Tracopa’s office (so you’ll know what to look for).
This article by Jonathan Kraft
If you found this helpful, please comment below.
November 21st, 2009
- July 04, 2014 03:36 PM : Happy Indepence Day!
- July 02, 2014 10:52 PM : Say what? Hilarious Voice Tanscriptions
- June 04, 2014 08:54 AM : Wacky Wednesday #105
- May 28, 2014 08:44 AM : Wacky Wednesday #104
- May 25, 2014 11:54 PM : Human Slavery: How Your Cell Phone Enslaves Or Liberates Humanity (Actual)
- May 09, 2014 07:20 AM : Water Is Life: An Amazing Book
- May 07, 2014 08:47 PM : My favorite ad campaign
- April 24, 2014 10:28 AM : More Amazing Sand Art
- April 23, 2014 10:22 AM : An Amazing 8 Minute Story
- April 21, 2014 08:22 PM : Fooling My Brain
- February 17, 2014 01:41 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - JR Celski
- February 13, 2014 01:49 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - Rico Roman
- February 12, 2014 01:37 PM : Can Plants Think?
- February 11, 2014 05:31 PM : For Our Moms
- February 10, 2014 08:59 AM : A Review of ZipCar: My First ZipCar Experience
- February 08, 2014 01:25 PM : How Olympians Have Changed
- January 15, 2014 09:07 PM : Beatboxing the Blues In Britain (Video)
- January 11, 2014 12:15 PM : This Video Will Make You Hurt
- December 29, 2013 08:46 AM : Poem: When Spoken Into Being
- December 20, 2013 12:40 AM : Poem: My Problem
- December 19, 2013 08:25 AM : Christmas Lights Scavenger Oddities: December Date Night
- December 18, 2013 01:46 AM : Thoughts On A Perfect Fire
- December 17, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: For The Soldiers
- December 15, 2013 12:08 PM : Why Get Out Of America
- December 15, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: As An Eagle
- December 14, 2013 02:02 AM : Poem: Howling In The Night
- December 13, 2013 12:38 AM : Poem: To The Mouse (# 2)
- December 12, 2013 05:49 AM : Go Broncos!
- December 10, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Anointed
- December 09, 2013 08:42 AM : Poem: Father Christmas Is My Step-Dad
- December 07, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: I See
- December 06, 2013 01:47 AM : Poem: I Feel So Separated
- December 03, 2013 12:43 AM : Poem: It's Time
- November 30, 2013 12:25 AM : Poem: The Monkey
- November 29, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: Crushed