Bremen Universum: The Universe In One Building In Germany
The Universum Museum in Bremen, Germany is one of my favorite museums on the planet.
It’s like a children’s science museum, but for big kids like Carrie and me, it offers hours and hours of entertainment and fun.
The museum is designed like a space ship coming out of the planet (from one side), or like a space ship that crash landed (from the other side). Either way you look at it, no worries… it’s safe to go inside.
The museum is split into 3 parts. Mensch, Erde, und Kosmos, (or) People, Earth, and Space.
I’ve been to the museum twice. The first time I went was when I was in Germany 10 years ago with our friend Anne (who we’re going to see in Munich soon), and now with Carrie – 10 years later!
In these two visits, I’ve spent a combined total of 5 hours in the Universum museum, and still only seen 1/3 of it: Mensch. When I went there this time, I forgot which part I had seen, so we went to see Mensch. Most of the experiments and displays were again new for me (even though I’d seen them before), so even though I remembered having seen a lot of it, everything felt new.
And I learned a lot about humans. A lot.
Did you know that there were only 1 billion people on the planet in 1900? This means that in the last 110 years, we have (as a species) grown by 7 times. In all of human history up to 1900, we only reached 1 billion. Millions of years (or at least 8,000 years depending on your beliefs) to reach 1 billion, and then BOOM! huge population growth to 7 billion (the 7 billionth person will probably be born in October in either India or China – no way to know for sure).
I’ll spare you more learning for now, but I find this kind of thing fascinating.
I felt bad for Elsbeth and Harald who took us there – they got through the full museum in 1 ½ hours and had time for a coffee. Carrie and I spent 2 ½ hours there, and were the last ones out of the building as they were closing at 6 PM.
Moral of the story – if you go to a museum with us, come prepared to spend a lot of time. We like to see everything!
And the other moral of the story – if you’re in Bremen, Germany, take an afternoon and go to the Universum Museum. We loved it, and I think you will too.
September 14th, 2011
- July 04, 2014 03:36 PM : Happy Indepence Day!
- July 02, 2014 10:52 PM : Say what? Hilarious Voice Tanscriptions
- June 04, 2014 08:54 AM : Wacky Wednesday #105
- May 28, 2014 08:44 AM : Wacky Wednesday #104
- May 25, 2014 11:54 PM : Human Slavery: How Your Cell Phone Enslaves Or Liberates Humanity (Actual)
- May 09, 2014 07:20 AM : Water Is Life: An Amazing Book
- May 07, 2014 08:47 PM : My favorite ad campaign
- April 24, 2014 10:28 AM : More Amazing Sand Art
- April 23, 2014 10:22 AM : An Amazing 8 Minute Story
- April 21, 2014 08:22 PM : Fooling My Brain
- February 17, 2014 01:41 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - JR Celski
- February 13, 2014 01:49 PM : An Amazing Olympic Story - Rico Roman
- February 12, 2014 01:37 PM : Can Plants Think?
- February 11, 2014 05:31 PM : For Our Moms
- February 10, 2014 08:59 AM : A Review of ZipCar: My First ZipCar Experience
- February 08, 2014 01:25 PM : How Olympians Have Changed
- January 15, 2014 09:07 PM : Beatboxing the Blues In Britain (Video)
- January 11, 2014 12:15 PM : This Video Will Make You Hurt
- December 29, 2013 08:46 AM : Poem: When Spoken Into Being
- December 20, 2013 12:40 AM : Poem: My Problem
- December 19, 2013 08:25 AM : Christmas Lights Scavenger Oddities: December Date Night
- December 18, 2013 01:46 AM : Thoughts On A Perfect Fire
- December 17, 2013 01:32 AM : Poem: For The Soldiers
- December 15, 2013 12:08 PM : Why Get Out Of America
- December 15, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: As An Eagle
- December 14, 2013 02:02 AM : Poem: Howling In The Night
- December 13, 2013 12:38 AM : Poem: To The Mouse (# 2)
- December 12, 2013 05:49 AM : Go Broncos!
- December 10, 2013 01:34 AM : Poem: Anointed
- December 09, 2013 08:42 AM : Poem: Father Christmas Is My Step-Dad
- December 07, 2013 12:41 AM : Poem: I See
- December 06, 2013 01:47 AM : Poem: I Feel So Separated
- December 03, 2013 12:43 AM : Poem: It's Time
- November 30, 2013 12:25 AM : Poem: The Monkey
- November 29, 2013 02:05 AM : Poem: Crushed